Australia Work Visa – Hospitality & Tourism Placements


HTE Internships place students, graduates and hospitality/ tourism workers into Australia. For each group you will be applying for the same visa, the Australian Working Holiday Visa. As part of our programmes we assist you with your visa application.


You do not need to apply for your work visa until we have confirmed your position in Australia.

This page is designed for you to make sure you are eligible for a work visa for Australia, so you can take part in one of HTE Internships programmes. Please note this is not designed to be advice on visa eligibility, it is simply for our programmes. Please consult Australia Immigration if you are unsure on your visa eligibility.


If you are not eligible for a valid work visa then unfortunately you will not be eligible for one of our programmes and we do not sponsor workers into Australia.


Work Visa – Australia, am I eligible?

For Australia we place students, graduates and hospitality/ tourism workers on an Australian Working Holiday visa. The eligibility for this visa is based on two main areas:

  • The passport you hold – please see below for list of eligible countries
  • Your age – You will need to be between the age of 18 & 30 when you apply for your visa

You must hold a passport from one of the following countries to be eligible for the subclass of working holiday visa:


Australia Working Holiday Visa – Subclass 417:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

For further information on the 417 subclass of the Australian working holiday visa, please visit the Australia Immigration website.


Australia Working Holiday Visa – Subclass 462

(special requirements for this visa)

  • USA
  • Indonesia
  • Malaysia
  • Thailand
  • Turkey

For further information on the 462 subclass of the Australian working holiday visa, please visit the Australia Immigration website.


What does the Working Holiday Visa allow you to do?

You are able to stay in Australia for up to 12 months from the date you enter the country. You can work for up to 6 months with one employer at a time. You can choose to work or travel on your working holiday visa.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply after I turn 31?
The Working Holiday Visa cuts off once you turn 31, you can apply when you are 30 years of age. Once you have been granted your visa, you have 12 months to enter Australia and you then have the 12 months on your working holiday visa. So technically you can go to Australia when you are 31 on a working holiday visa, you just need to have applied for this before you turned 31.


Can I get a second Working Holiday Visa?
Only those applying for the subclass 417 working holiday visa are eligible to apply for a second visa.  To be eligible for a second working holiday visa you will need to complete the requirements detailed on the Australia Immigration website, at present this is 89 days of regional horticulture work (ie fruit picking, vine pruning etc).

This can be used consecutively, so you can spend two years in Australia, or you can return home and go back to Australia to use your second working holiday visa before you turn 31 years of age.


Can I apply for another WHV visa if I have applied before but never used my visa?
No, if you did not use your working holiday visa within 12 months of applying for it, sorry but you’ve lost it. Bummer hey!


I have a conviction on my record, can I apply for an Australian visa?

The first thing you will need to do is contact the Australian Immigration office in your country and ask them if the conviction you have will stop you for being granted a visa. To find the closest Australian Immigration office to you click on the link below:


It will depend on the kind of conviction you have. You will usually not be able to apply online if you have a conviction on your record. You will usually need to apply with a written application form and the time it takes to process a written application is around 6 weeks.


Speak Your Mind