New Zealand Work Visa’s – Hospitality Internships & Jobs

There are two main types of work visa we place our hospitality programme students, graduates and workers on, for a 6 or 12 month placement in New Zealand.


Work Visa – For students who are required to complete a period of work experience as a requirement of their studies.

Working Holiday Visa – For graduates and hospitality workers.

This page is designed for you to make sure you are eligible for a visa to work in New Zealand, so you can take part in one of HTE Internships programmes. Please note this is not designed to be advice on visa eligibility, it is simply for our programmes. Please consult New Zealand Immigration if you are unsure on your visa eligibility. You do not need to apply for your work visa until we have confirmed your position in New Zealand.

If you are not eligible for a valid work visa then unfortunately you will not be eligible for one of our programmes and we do not sponsor workers into New Zealand.


New Zealand Work Visa – Student and Trainee Policy

The section or area of the New Zealand work visa that HTE Internships place hospitality students under, is the student and trainee policy. For applicants applying on one of HTE Internships hospitality internship programmes, you have access to our video tutorial on preparing the necessary documentation and another video tutorial on completing this visa application.


To be eligible for a New Zealand work visa you will need to meet the following requirements:

  • Be a current student in your home country and have the support of your institution
  • It is a course requirement that you complete an internship as part of your studies


New Zealand Working Holiday Visa

For hospitality graduates or workers you will be applying for a working holiday visa. The eligibility for this visa is based on two main areas:

  • The passport you hold – please see below for list of eligible countries
  • Your age – You will need to be between the age of 18 & 30 when you apply for your visa

You must hold a passport from one of the following countries to be eligible for a 12 month New Zealand working holiday visa. Please note this is not a full list of all countries eligible to apply for a New Zealand working holiday visa.  To see a full list of eligible countries visit the New Zealand Immigration website.

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom*
  • United States

* Holding a passport from the United Kingdom and meeting the age requirements, you will be eligible for a 23 month working holiday visa which can be taken as a 12 month WHV and extended in New Zealand for a further 11 months.


Frequently Asked Questions – Working Holiday Visa

The passport I hold is eligible for a NZ WHV, why am I not on the above list?

We have only included countries eligible for 12 or 23 month work rights. Other eligible countries either a low cap on the number of visas available eg 200 per year, or there have work restrictions on your countries visa, that only allow you to work for up to 3 months with one employer. For these countries we cannot place you on one of our programmes as the minimum duration for our New Zealand hospitality programme is 6 months.


Can I apply after I turn 31?

The Working Holiday Visa cuts off once you turn 31, you can apply when you are 30 years of age. Once you have been granted your visa, you have 12 months to enter New Zealand and you then have the 12 months on your working holiday visa. So technically you can go to New Zealand when you are 31 on a working holiday visa, you just need to have applied for this before you turned 31.


Can I get a second Working Holiday Visa?

There is not a second working holiday visa for New Zealand like in Australia, however if you complete 3 months or more of horticulture work such as fruit picking then you can gain an extension of 3 months onto your working holiday visa.


Can I apply for another WHV visa if I have applied before but never used my visa?

No, if you did not use your working holiday visa within 12 months of applying for it, sorry but you’ve lost it. Bummer hey!


  1. harikrishna keelu says:

    mine country is not listed above and im from india am i not eligible to wrok in new zealnd as i ahve compltd my degree in hospitality mngt and i have 3 nd half years of work experience in usa and india so can you suggest some information which will be very help full for me.

    • HTE Internships says:

      Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately holding a passport from India you would not be eligible for a working holiday visa for New Zealand or Australia that will allow you to work for 6 or more months and we do not sponsor workers, so we could not help you.

      Sorry about that

Speak Your Mind